Museum of Dionysios Solomos
The Museum of Solomos and Eminent Zakynthians was founded in 1959 by admirers of the fine arts in Zakynthos.
Located in St. Marko Square, next to the Catholic Church, the Museum, also known as the Museum of Solomos and Kalvos, houses the relics of two famous poets from Zakynthos, Dionysios Solomos and Andreas Kalvos.
The Museum of Solomos and Eminent Zakynthians has been in operation since 1966 and since 1968, the bones of the national poets, Dionysios Solomos and Andreas Kalvos, have been laid to rest in its Mausoleum.
A large number of manuscripts of the national poet Dionysios Solomos are on display here, along with some of his personal belongings. A collection of portraits of eminent Zakynthians, and an interesting collection of icons are also on display.
The Solomos and Kalvos Museum portrays a variety of local handcrafts, artworks and paintings of the XVIII and XIX century, carved pottery, sculptures and ancient musical instruments. You also get to see clothes and weapons of noble families of the last century. Many portraits dedicated to the important people of the island of Zakynthos are represented, along with a collection of coats of arms.
The Museum also has a well-stocked library containing a large collection of documents, and also period furniture, an archaeological and folk art collection as well as a collection of interesting photographs.